How would you describe in detail your service learning site?
The facility that I have chosen for my service learning site is Good Samaritan Clinic in Fort Smith, Arkansas. The clinic is a faith-based healthcare ministry that provides healthcare for the homeless and uninsured low-income working persons and their families. Services available include primary healthcare services, prescriptions, eye examinations, gynecological services, and patient education programs.
Good Samaritan Clinic charges fees based on a sliding scale with average charge of $5-$7 (maximum of $35), and no person is turned away if unable to pay for services.The clinic is funded by donations from local individuals, churches, and businesses. Healthcare services are provided by physicians, residents physicians, and nurse practitioners from AHEC Fort Smith. There are also professional services provided by local healthcare professionals on a voluntary basis.
What is it about the community partner that calls you to work with them?
My first experiences at Good Samaritan Clinic occured in 2008 during my nurse practioner clinicals in my master's program. My NP preceptor (Dr. Landis) was performing services through AHEC Fort Smith. I learned much from the patients and their families during my time spent at the clinic. My heart warmed each and every time that I entered the facility and saw the smiles on the faces of the staff and patients at the clinic. There is such hope and faith exhibited at the clinic.
When I learned that I was going to perform service learning in my doctoral program, I immediately thought of Good Samaritan Clinic. My NP preceptor was still working at AHEC and performing services at Good Samaritan Clinic. She agreed to once again become my clinical preceptor. I truly am blessed to have such a wonderful person as my preceptor. Dr. Landis is a PhD-prepared FNP who has many years of clinical experience. She is a terrific role model and caring person.
When I think of expressing what my passion is for choosing this facility and my purpose for being here, I have only to look at the mission statement of the Good Samaritan Clinic.
Good Samaritan Clinic is an ecumenical healthcare ministry, which seeks to reclaim the biblical and historical committment of the church to care for the poor. With the volunteer services of health care professionals, along with the Good Samaritan Clinic staff and volunteers, the Clinic provides on-site affordable health care for the working poor, children, the elderly, and the homeless. The Clinic cares for the whole person by providing not only medical care but counseling, health education, and preventive care. It reaches out to the entire community by providing and encouraging healthy lifestyles and disease prevention.
http://good-sam-clinic.net/good-samaritan-clinic/mission-statement/
Because I am an advanced practice nurse and a nurse educator, my passion is nursing and teaching students and patients. Health promotion strategies encourage improved care outcomes and enhance quality of life. I could not think of a more appropriate site for my service learning experiences than Good Samaritan Clinic.
What are you currently doing with this organization and how do you see it evolving as you sustain your commitment with them?
My role in this service learning experience is an active one. I am collaborating with my DNP preceptor to provide health education services at the clinic. I have spent about 4 hours this semester at the clinic site and have perfomed literature searches on providing healthcare for the homeless and uninsured client populations. After a preliminary needs assessment, there is a great need for diabetic education services at the clinic. I am working on identifying what teaching methods would best serve the patients at the clinic. There are also opportunities for me to volunteer my services as an FNP to provide healthcare services as well.
For my future plans, I am collaborating with the clinic and the University of Arkansas Fort Smith to provide clinical experiences at Good Samaritan Clinic for undergraduate nursing students. I see this as a way to truly serve in a capacity that would fulfill a longitudinal service learning committment to the clinic. I would like to have this implemented in the fall 2011 semester.
God bless and talk with you later!
Felicia
A wonderful site for service learning. You are doing much for many with your service learning. Your Blog site looks impressive. Have you blogged before? This is my first expereince hope I am doing this right. Best wishes for your project, education is always a precious gift to share. Jan W
ReplyDeleteHi Jan!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the supportive comments! I too am a novice blogger. This is actually my first blog "site", and you are the first person to comment on my blog. :)
I believe as you do that education is a gift to share, and nursing allows me the privilege to share this gift with others.
Take care and God Bless!
Felicia
Well said Felicia - You answered the questions thoughtfully and thoroughly and helped me to get to know your SL site. MG
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Dr. Gilbert!
ReplyDeleteI am really looking forward to the service learning experiences and reading the others' blogs as well.
Take care and God Bless!
Felicia
Felicia,
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful service learning project! We have a Good Samaritan House in Denver also, where I do volunteer work when I have some free time. I obviously do not have much of that lately, like everyone else. The clinic at the Good Samaritan House has scheduled times that health care practitioners come in and see the homeless population. For my son's confirmation community service, I took a group of adolescents to the Good Samaritan House and they helped in the daycare, giving parents a chance to work on resumes for jobs. The adolescents loved the experience. I look forward to following your blog.
Ruth
Hi Ruth! Thanks for your response to my blog! How exciting for the adolescents to be able to experience service learning from that context. There isn't a daycare here but would definitely be a great idea. I will have to mention that during my next visit to the clinic. I belong to the local nurse practitioner association, and have been trying to solicit volunteers to staff Saturday morning clinics so that "sick visits" could be implemented at Good Samaritan. I have had several interested parties but haven't had anyone follow through with a committment just yet. Here's hoping for the future... :) Take care and God Bless! Felicia
ReplyDelete