Hello to everyone who is following my Service Learning Blog!
I can't believe that the semester is coming to an end soon. It has been a great learning experience for me, and one that I look forward to continuing in the semesters to follow. The following are my answers to the specific questions that we as a class have been asked to address in our service learning blog:
Are people you came in contact with through this experience having some needs met through the community activities? Are community activities like these necessary and/or sufficient to fulfill these community and individual needs? Do you see other means to do so?
The people that utilize the clinic are having some of their health care needs met through community activities. At Good Samaritan Clinic, appointments for primary health care services are available but often there is a wait of 1-2 weeks for an appointment time. There is very limited time for acute or "sick" visits. This is a concern since many patients will have to use a local emergency room instead or choose not to have care due to inability to pay. For dental needs, the Community Dental Clinic offers services but there is a 2-3 month wait for an appointment. Again, many of these patients will utilize one of the local emergency rooms for acute dental emergencies and often can't afford to pay. There is a dental clinic at the University of Arkansas Fort Smith that offers dental services on a reduced pay-scale. Appointments are limited there also. Western Arkansas Counseling and Guidance Center offers mental health services to all ages and reduced rates are available to qualifying clients.
I view all of these services as necessary although many are insufficient due to the lack of appointments and/or wait times for appointments. Many individuals' needs are not met by services in the community especially if ability to pay prohibits their access to care. There are other means to do so but unfortunately there is a lack of local, state, and federal funding to expand and/or develop additional health care service programs in the area. This is a national problem that needs to be addressed but unfortuately in this political climate neither side seems willing to negotiate for an improved health care environment for the most needy and underserved client populations.
What was the best/worst/most challenging thing that happened this semester?
The best and also the most challenging thing that happened this semester was the planning of the diabetic education classes themselves. Most of the diabetic teaching materials that were in use at the clinic were outdated, and I needed to locate additional materials to use for my project. I was able to contact the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and locate patient education materials in English and Spanish. The ADA also has a Patient Education Toolkit that has great information! Another source of information on diabetic education materials is the MERCK-sponsored Conversation Map Program. I was able to receive a firsthand account of how this education program works at AHEC-Fort Smith. I spoke with one of the trained facilitators in the facility, and she was able to offer valuable information for me to locate the necessary materials and register for the training online. I am excited about the possibility of bringing this program to Good Samaritan Clinic.
What have you learned about yourself?
I have learned a great deal about myself through the service learning experience. I often do not stop to appreciate everything that I have been blessed with in my life, including health, children, family, friends, etc. It is truly a blessing to have an education and have the ability to pursue a doctoral degree. I have found that I take many things for granted and need to appreciate each day that God gives me on this earth. After having had the privilege of meeting some of the employees at the clinic, I am looking forward to working with them and to serve the clients that utilize the clinic. Although I have had limited exposure to the clients themselves, I have been struck by the stories that I have heard and the needs that have been expressed by the clinic workers and the clients themselves.
What are your future service learning plans?
I have several plans for longitudinal service learning at the Good Samaritan Clinic. This summer I plan on beginning to offer the diabetic education classes at the clinic on a bi-monthly basis. I would like to complete the online Conversation Map Program (Healthy Interactions, 2009) training course before beginning the classes. There are plans for a Health Fair in the fall semester, and my students will be involved as well. I am really excited about all of the possiblities.
God Bless!
Felicia
Conversation Map Program information available at
http://www.healthyinteractions.com/conversation-map-programs/helping-manage-chronic-disease/diabetes
Hi Felicia
ReplyDeleteThank you for a lovely blog. What struck me was your comment about taking things for granted. Finding a job that you find personally and professionally satisfying can be a challenge, but luckily careers in healthcare are considered some of the most rewarding available. I have been blessed by having a long-standing nursing profession. As a nurse, I have had the rare opportunity of personal fulfillment and a high employment rate. During these times of an uncertain economy, I am quite aware of this blessing.
All the best
Susan
Thanks so much Susan for your response to my blog! I appreciate your comments and agree that nursing is a challenging yet rewarding profession. I truly am blessed in so many ways. It is a privilege and a blessing to have been in classes with you and I look forward to our future DNP experiences as well. Take care and God Bless! Felicia
ReplyDeleteHi Felicia
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like you have accomplished a lot in your service learning hours! These clinics are so needed in the community. Is this the only community health clinic in your area? Having to wait 1-2 weeks for an appointment seems like a long time, no wonder ERs are over utilized! I have learned also that I take a lot of things for granted in life! Great post!
Joanna
Thanks for your response Joanna! Yes, the Good Samaritan Clinic is the only clinic that offers free primary care services to those who can't afford to pay. There are other clinics in the area that offer primary care services for Medicaid, Medicare, and private insurance patients.The Health Department has a sliding-scale for fees and offers immunizations, maternity care, STI exams, and contraceptive services. Yes, this is exactly the reason why EDs are being utilized so much for non-urgent healthcare services. The problem then lies in the lack of follow-up care available for the patients that do utilize the ED for initial treatment. There are so many issues to consider related to the lack of access to care for vulnerable populations. Take care and God Bless! Felicia
ReplyDeleteFelicia
ReplyDeleteGood for you for doing a Diabetic Teaching project. This population is so needy for educatio and have so many issues in self care management. This is a wonderful choice of service projects. I hope you are able to provide the summer filled with your classses. I also wanted to comment upon your personalized learning- enjoy what health you have- as so important. I forget that I am blessed. You have reminded me. Thanks for that.
Julie Benz
Felicia,
ReplyDeleteGreat post and wonderful service learning project! Diabetic teaching is such an important facet of health education and unfortunately the underserved and uninsured are often unable to access this much needed service. I appreciated your reflection about what you have learned about yourself. This work should cause us to stop and be thankful for our lifestyles, friends, families and healthcare that we are so blessed to have. Great work!
Cassie
Hi Felicia,
ReplyDeleteYou have such a wonderful blog. Your project is doing so much for so many people. It is true that we don't often appreciate all that God has blessed us with. Thanks for helping me stop and think and remember. You are truly a blessing to us all and to those you serve at the clinic.
Thanks for sharing with us
Janet W
Hi Julie!
ReplyDeleteThanks for responding to my blog. I am looking forward to beginning the diabetic education classes this summer. We will all be busy with our own "class" activities but hopefully we can enjoy the summer and incorporate "healthy activities".
Take care and God Bless!
Felicia
Hi Cassie!
ReplyDeleteThanks for responding to my blog! I too believe that we are blessed! I hope to help improve access to care in this population.
Take care and God Bless!
Felicia
Hi Jan!
ReplyDeleteThanks for responding to my blog and such kind words of expression. I am the blessed one and feel truly supported by my DNP classmates. It has been a pleasure to have such wonderful people such as yourself in my life. I have learned so much from all of you!
Take care and God Bless!
Felicia
Very well done and great job in updating the DM teaching materials! MG
ReplyDeleteThanks Dr. Gilbert! It has been very rewarding for me this semester especially in regards to the service learning opportunities. God Bless! Felicia
ReplyDelete