As an educated, privileged citizen in our society, what is your role in creating a society rooted in equality and justice? Do you feel you have a responsibility and why or why not?
The Jesuit vision of producing graduates who are “men and women in service to others” through offering a “value-oriented education” was emphasized throughout the doctoral curriculum (Callahan, 1997, p. 7). This emphasis on service to others caused me to reflect on the issues of social justice, equality, and disparities in health care services for underserved and vulnerable populations. As an advanced practice nurse (APN), I have a responsibility to make a difference and to use my doctoral education in the service of others.
As a nurse, I have considered it a privilege to offer and provide care for others in need. As a result of my Jesuit education, I have learned to actively engage in leadership in the service of others and to serve as a role model for my undergraduate nursing students and other healthcare professionals. I consider it a privilege to have the education that I now utilize in my current practice and hope to utilize my DNP credentials upon graduation to continue in the pursuit of excellence in nursing practice for the care of those in need.
As a nurse, I have considered it a privilege to offer and provide care for others in need. As a result of my Jesuit education, I have learned to actively engage in leadership in the service of others and to serve as a role model for my undergraduate nursing students and other healthcare professionals. I consider it a privilege to have the education that I now utilize in my current practice and hope to utilize my DNP credentials upon graduation to continue in the pursuit of excellence in nursing practice for the care of those in need.
What have you learned about yourself and what are your future plans?
By integrating the Jesuit educational principles, philosophy, and mission that I have learned during my doctoral education at Regis University, I have transformed myself, my clinical nursing practice, and my nurse educator practice. I have developed a leadership philosophy based upon servant leadership. My value system has been strengthened by my commitment to the service of others.
The Ignatian Pedagogical Paradigm has also allowed me to explore a more meaningful learning experience as a practitioner. Nursing has been described as “the art of caring” or “delivering care to others”. The Ignatian concepts strive for an increased awareness from the practitioner in their service to others. I began to integrate the principles of service learning during the first application to practice course in the doctoral curriculum. I was able to establish a service learning contract at the Good Samaritan Clinic in Fort Smith, Arkansas. I choose this service learning site because of their chosen mission of “providing compassionate healthcare to the medically underserved” (Good Samaritan Clinic, 2003). The clinic is a faith-based healthcare ministry that provides healthcare for the homeless and uninsured low-income working persons and their families. No person is turned away due to inability to pay for services. This philosophy and mission touched my heart, and I knew that I could contribute by offering educational services focused on wellness and disease prevention for the clients at the clinic.
The Ignatian Pedagogical Paradigm has also allowed me to explore a more meaningful learning experience as a practitioner. Nursing has been described as “the art of caring” or “delivering care to others”. The Ignatian concepts strive for an increased awareness from the practitioner in their service to others. I began to integrate the principles of service learning during the first application to practice course in the doctoral curriculum. I was able to establish a service learning contract at the Good Samaritan Clinic in Fort Smith, Arkansas. I choose this service learning site because of their chosen mission of “providing compassionate healthcare to the medically underserved” (Good Samaritan Clinic, 2003). The clinic is a faith-based healthcare ministry that provides healthcare for the homeless and uninsured low-income working persons and their families. No person is turned away due to inability to pay for services. This philosophy and mission touched my heart, and I knew that I could contribute by offering educational services focused on wellness and disease prevention for the clients at the clinic.
According to Regis University (n.d.),
Advantages of a longitudinal service commitment include:
· Depth of relationship between student, agency and people served
· Opportunity to explore issues related to the population served over a long period of time and with greater depth
· Long-term commitment to community agency
· Better opportunity to plan well in advance and schedule service hours
· Opportunity to move from direct service to advocacy over the course of the program (“A Self-Selected Longitudinal Service Commitment”, para. 3)
As I continued offering diabetic education classes at the clinic along with the students, my role evolved into advocacy for the clients and outreach in the community at large. I have planned and implemented a health fair at the clinic, and am planning another one in fall 2012. I hope to continue my service at Good Samaritan Clinic for many years to come, and advocate for equal access to healthcare in my community and in society at large. The Ignatian principles learned at Regis University will assist me to remain in service for others, to continue the pursuit of lifelong learning, and to strive for excellence in all that I accomplish in my service of others.
Take care and God Bless!
Felicia P.
References:
Callahan, J.J. (1997). The Jesuit tradition at Regis University. Retrieved from http://www.regis.edu/content/ars/pdf/ars.asn.FoundationsJackCal.pdf
Good Samaritan Clinic. (2003). Good Samaritan Clinic. Retrieved from
Regis University. (n.d.). Service learning overview. Retrieved from https://worldclass.regis.edu/section/default.asp?id=SH%5FXIN%5FDN%5FNR715C%5FXH01%5F12SPV
Hi Felicia,
ReplyDeleteYour posting is exceptional. It is remarkable all the lives you have touched and made people and their families healthier and able to live better lives. Your commitment and service is outstanding. You give so much heart in all that you do. I am honored to have you as a classmate, a colleague and now a friend. God bless you in all that you do.
Janet W
Hi Jan!
DeleteThanks so much for following my blog over the entire DNP program! I am humbled by your comments and feel blessed to have been a member of such an outstanding class. I am truly honored to be your friend and colleague. Your selfless service to your family, students, and community is an example of living your life for the service of others.
Take care and God Bless!
Felicia
Hi Felicia,
ReplyDeleteYour post is very thoughtful and really explains the Jesuit mission very well. It sounds as if you have completed some very meaningful work at the Good Samaritan Clinic and plan to work with them in the future. You are definitely increasing access to healthcare through your volunteer work!Truthfully, at the beginning of the program I wasn't sure I wanted a DNP program with a focus of serving "the underserved" because I thought it would limit my experiences. Reflecting over the past two years, I think I have gained a tremendous amount of knowledge about this type of population and feel we have an extra "specialty" that other DNP graduates do not have. Great work!
Thanks,
Joanna
Thanks Joanna for responding to my blog posting! I appreciate your feedback and thoughts on service learning. I also agree that we have been blessed with having service learning opportunities that other DNP programs might not have undertaken. I hope to continue service learning for many years to come.
DeleteTake care and God Bless!
Felicia
Hello Felicia,
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful post. Good Sams is fortunate to have you working with them. Your students are also fortunate to have you as their teacher and mentor. It is hard to believe that we are almost finished with this DNP journey but hopefully we will have lasting friendships with our classmates who are our colleagues. Now that we have extra time on our hands we will be able to look at giving more hours to our community and underserved populations. I look forward to graduation and meeting your family. I too have grown from this meaningful experience of providing service learning hours to less fortunate populations. See you at graduation!
Ruth
Hi Ruth!
DeleteThanks for following my service learning blog throughout the DNP program!I am grateful to have served at Good Samaritan Clinic and hope to continue to be of service for many years to come. I am so looking forward to enjoying the fellowship of each and every one of our classmates, and hope that we will continue to build a lifelong friendship.
Take care and God Bless!
Felicia
Hi Felicia,
ReplyDeleteGreat posting. Having a Jesuit education has been a great opportunity. I agree that we have been very fortunate to incorporate service learning and the focus of underserved populations into our DNP learning. I believe we are better for this journey. I know I have been humbled by my project and realize my blessings daily. Again, thanks for sharing your insights. I have enjoyed following your project. Trish
Hi Trish!
DeleteThanks for following my service learning blog! I appreciate your comments and agree that we were fortunate to have been involved in the service of others during our DNP program. I hope to continue with service learning for many years to come!
Take care and God Bless!
Felicia
I am saving this reflection - it was so thoughtful! MG
ReplyDeleteThanks so much Dr. Gilbert! I have learned so much from the service learning experiences! Take care and God Bless! Felicia
Delete